What to Write in an Engagement Card Message
Your engagement greeting card message should reflect your relationship with the newly engaged bride or groom, all while including customary engagement greetings. At the end of the day, there are no strict rules or expectations around sending an engagement card to the happy couple. Whether you decide to write a funny engagement congratulations or a sincere one from the heart, your message is sure to make the couple feel celebrated and supported as they embark on this next exciting stage in their lives together. Use the outline below when writing your engagement card to make your writing process easier.
- Congratulate the couple first. The initial phrase that the couple reads should be a short and simple “congratulations” phrase. You won’t spend too much time worrying about how to begin your card if you follow this simple tip.
- Write a heartfelt message that is unique to your relationship with the recipient or couple. This can be a funny engagement message with an inside joke or a sentimental message with a memory about the couple, as long as it feels personalized to the nature of your relationship with the recipient. This is the most important section of any engagement card and should be genuine.
- Send your well wishes. Look to the future by letting the recipient or couple know what your well wishes are. Whether you’re wishing the couple endless years of laughter or wishing them a flawless wedding planning process, wishes are comforting at the end of a card.
Engagement Card Message Examples
Bring on the sappiness! If one or both of the couple is crazy-important to you, you’ll want to get a little more personal and effusive in your engagement card message. Try to incorporate specifics that are unique to the couple’s relationship together — or to your relationship with them. Your engagement card message should be sentimental and reflective of your history with the recipient. As mentioned earlier, you can include a short memory about the newly engaged couple, in addition to letting your friend or loved one know how happy you are for them. We’ve provided an example for a bit of inspiration below: Dear Lindsey, Congratulations on your wedding engagement! I’m so happy to hear that you and _________ are taking the next step together. I’ve enjoyed watching you grow as a person so much. I remember when you and John first met and how instant your connection with him was. I’m excited that you two have found love and I can’t wait to help you prepare for your wedding. I’m always here for you and look forward to watching your relationship blossom. May your love shine brighter and your companionship grow richer with each passing day. Best Wishes, Alexis
Here is a collection of short congratulatory phrases that are appropriate for any engagement card. You want to make sure that you let the soon to be hitched couple know how happy you are for them and how you believe they are doing the right thing. By starting with congratulations, you will set the perfect tone to convey your meaningful sentiment. Choose a short congratulatory phrase from below to start your card off right.
- Congratulations on your wedding engagement!
- Congratulations to a beautiful couple. I’m so happy to hear that you and _________ are taking the next step together.
- Congratulations to the future bride and groom! I’m excited about this new chapter in your life.
- Congratulations on your new journey together.
- Congratulations on taking this exciting step together.
- Congratulations on finding each other. Your engagement is wonderful news.
- Congratulations on finding forever! I’m overjoyed that you have found your perfect love.
- Congratulations on this sweet occasion of your engagement!
- Heartiest congratulations to the beautiful couple.
After writing a personalized message, end your card with engagement wishes that make the couple feel surrounded by love and hope about their future. When it comes to engagement wishes, you can choose one wish or mix and match wishes that you feel are important to the couple’s relationship.
- May your joining together bring you more joy than you can imagine.
- May your love for each other only strengthen as time goes by.
- May your love shine brighter and your companionship grow richer with each passing day.
- May you both be blessed with lifelong happiness.
- Wishing you a lifetime of joy, love, and happiness.
- Wishing you the very best as you begin to plan your lives together.
- Wishing you both the happily ever after you so very much deserve.
- Through the storms of life, may your love for one another be steadfast and strong.
- All the best with your wedding plans and for the future.
- May you bring each other as much happiness as your friendship has brought to my life—and more!
- So happy for the both of you. and I can’t wait to celebrate this new chapter of your lives with you.
- Of all the big life events we’ve celebrated together, this one tops the list. Congratulations!
- Best wishes for a long and happy life together.
- Best wishes for a fun-filled future together.
- Here’s to love and friendship!
- I know your marriage will be as strong and last as long as our friendship. Congrats!
- I’m so happy for the both of you and very excited I have a permanent couple with whom I can be a third-wheel!
Engagement Quotes for Them
If you’d like to leave an inspirational saying for the couple to remember, you can use a meaningful engagement quote to elevate your card. There’s nothing wrong with getting a bit of extra help from others to make your engagement card more memorable.
- “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – Eden Ahbez
- “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Anonymous
- “Chains do not hold marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” – Simone Signoret
- “You don’t need to be on the same wavelength to succeed in marriage. You just need to be able to ride each other’s waves.” – Anonymous
- “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- “True love stories never have endings.” – Richard Bach
Funny Engagement Quotes
If you have an easygoing relationship with the couple, you can opt for a funny engagement quote when expressing your sentiment. A lighthearted and humorous saying can brighten up your card. However, do your best to avoid sayings that are inappropriate. You don’t want to discourage the bride and groom from getting married or stir up any negative feelings. Here are a few quotes that are bound to put a smile on the recipient’s face:
- “It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.”
- “Advice for almost married men: Never laugh at your wife’s choices, you are one of them.”
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
- “Engagement: a reason to stop putting in the effort to look good for each other. Congratulations!”
- “He liked it. So he put a ring on it. Congratulations!”
- “Who said you guys were allowed to get engaged without my permission? Oh well, you can have my blessing anyway.”
These Engagement sayings are perfect for cards or engagement party gifts. Pick your favorite from those below or use them to inspire a message all your own.
- “Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning. Your love paints a beautiful picture of what love really means.”
- “May your love story continue forever.”
- “My whole heart for my whole life.”
- “Life, and love, are precious.”
- “Two souls, one heart.”
- “Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.”
- “Newlyweds become oldyweds, and oldyweds are the reasons that families work.”
- “A man without a wife is like a vase without flowers.”
When to Send an Engagement Card
When you send an engagement card is just as important as what you say inside. If you send an engagement card right before the couple’s wedding date, you likely won’t get the response you want. In order to let the recipients know that you’re truly happy for them, send an engagement card shortly after the couple shares their engagement news. Don’t wait any longer than four months after the news has spread. If you’ve been lucky enough to receive engagement party invitations from the couple, save your stamps and bring your congratulatory engagement card to the party. Whether the couple has decided to host a formal engagement party or a relaxed get-together at home, you should always bring a card and a wedding gift to the celebration.
Closing Thoughts On Engagement Card Messages
When you’re drafting your engagement card, speak from the heart and your card writing process will be easier than you think. As long as you’re sincere, the happy couple will appreciate and remember your kind gesture. There’s nothing more satisfying than letting someone know how much you care about them during major milestones in their life. And for additional inspiration, make sure to visit our other related resources: